Loading, Please Wait...
SAN DIEGO, Nov. 06, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Encore Capital Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: ECPG), an international specialty finance company, today reported consolidated financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2019.
“The third quarter was another outstanding period for Encore,” said Ashish Masih, President and Chief Executive Officer. “We have again achieved record results across a number of key financial measures and we are delivering our strongest performance in years.
“We continue to make solid progress on our strategic priorities that are contributing to our success. We are strengthening our balance sheet, focusing our resources on the U.S. and U.K. markets, where we have the highest returns, and continuing to enhance our competitive advantages through innovation.
“In the U.S., portfolio purchases of $173 million were up 41% compared to the same period a year ago, keeping us on track to establish a new record for purchases in the U.S. in 2019. In Europe, Cabot’s debt leverage continues to improve, driven by gains in operating efficiency and our focus on purchasing portfolios at higher returns. At the same time in Europe, cash collections grew 3% and estimated remaining collections grew 4%, both in constant currency terms,” said Masih.
In August, the Company sold its Australian subsidiary Baycorp, which reduced Encore’s operating footprint, consistent with the Company’s initiative to focus its resources on businesses with higher risk-adjusted returns. As a result of the transaction, Encore’s GAAP net income in the quarter was reduced by $7.0 million after tax, or $0.22 per share.
Key Financial Metrics for the Third Quarter of 2019:
Conference Call and Webcast
Encore will host a conference call and slide presentation today, November 6, 2019, at 2:00 p.m. Pacific / 5:00 p.m. Eastern time, to present and discuss third quarter results.
Members of the public are invited to access the live webcast via the Internet by logging in on the Investor Relations page of Encore's website at www.encorecapital.com. To access the live, listen-only telephone conference portion, please dial (855) 541-0982 or (704) 288-0606.
For those who cannot listen to the live broadcast, a telephonic replay will be available for seven days by dialing (800) 585-8367 or (404) 537-3406 and entering the conference ID number 9981504. A replay of the webcast will also be available shortly after the call on the Company's website.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This news release includes certain financial measures that exclude the impact of certain items and therefore have not been calculated in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”). The Company has included adjusted income attributable to Encore and adjusted income attributable to Encore per share (also referred to as economic EPS when adjusted for certain shares associated with our convertible notes that will not be issued but are reflected in the fully diluted share count for accounting purposes) because management uses this measure to assess operating performance, in order to highlight trends in the Company’s business that may not otherwise be apparent when relying on financial measures calculated in accordance with GAAP. The Company has included information concerning adjusted operating expenses in order to facilitate a comparison of approximate costs to cash collections for the portfolio purchasing and recovery business in the periods presented. Adjusted income attributable to Encore, adjusted income attributable to Encore per share/economic EPS, and adjusted operating expenses have not been prepared in accordance with GAAP. These non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered as alternatives to, or more meaningful than, net income, net income per share, and total operating expenses as indicators of the Company’s operating performance. Further, these non-GAAP financial measures, as presented by the Company, may not be comparable to similarly titled measures reported by other companies. The Company has attached to this news release a reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP financial measures. The Company has included references to constant currency growth rates to facilitate comparisons of underlying financial results excluding the impact of changes to foreign currency exchange rates. Constant Currency figures are calculated by employing foreign currency exchange rates from the year ago period to recalculate current period results. All constant currency values are calculated based on the average exchange rates during the respective periods, except for ERC, which is calculated using the changes in the period-ending exchange rates.
About Encore Capital Group, Inc.
Encore Capital Group is an international specialty finance company that provides debt recovery solutions and other related services across a broad range of financial assets. Through its subsidiaries around the globe, Encore purchases or services portfolios of receivables from major banks, credit unions and utility providers.
Headquartered in San Diego, Encore is a publicly traded NASDAQ Global Select company (ticker symbol: ECPG) and a component stock of the Russell 2000, the S&P Small Cap 600 and the Wilshire 4500. More information about Encore can be found at www.encorecapital.com. More information about the Company’s Midland Credit Management subsidiary can be found at www.midlandcreditonline.com. More information about the Company's Cabot Credit Management subsidiary can be found at www.cabotcm.com. Information found on the Company’s, MCM’s, or Cabot’s websites is not incorporated by reference.
Forward Looking Statements
The statements in this press release that are not historical facts, including, most importantly, those statements preceded by, or that include, the words “will,” “may,” “believe,” “projects,” “expects,” “anticipates” or the negation thereof, or similar expressions, constitute “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 (the “Reform Act”). These statements may include, but are not limited to, statements regarding our future operating results, performance, business plans or prospects. For all “forward-looking statements,” the Company claims the protection of the safe harbor for forward-looking statements contained in the Reform Act. Such forward-looking statements involve risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause actual results, performance or achievements of the Company and its subsidiaries to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These risks, uncertainties and other factors are discussed in the reports filed by the Company with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the most recent reports on Forms 10-K and 10-Q, as they may be amended from time to time. The Company disclaims any intent or obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
Vice President, Investor Relations
Encore Capital Group, Inc.
FINANCIAL TABLES FOLLOW
ENCORE CAPITAL GROUP, INC.
Consolidated Statements of Financial Condition
(In Thousands, Except Par Value Amounts)
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||186,677||$||157,418|
|Investment in receivable portfolios, net||3,188,167||3,137,893|
|Deferred court costs, net||94,011||95,918|
|Property and equipment, net||116,633||115,518|
|Liabilities and Equity|
|Accounts payable and accrued liabilities||$||208,994||$||287,945|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Convertible preferred stock, $0.01 par value, 5,000 shares authorized, no shares issued and outstanding||—||—|
|Common stock, $0.01 par value, 75,000 and 50,000 shares authorized, 31,059 and 30,884 shares issued and outstanding as of September 30, 2019 and December 31, 2018, respectively||311||309|
|Additional paid-in capital||221,814||208,498|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(146,158||)||(110,987||)|
|Total Encore Capital Group, Inc. stockholders’ equity||920,940||818,009|
|Total liabilities and equity||$||4,708,055||$||4,631,875|
The following table presents certain assets and liabilities of consolidated variable interest entities (“VIEs”) included in the consolidated statements of financial condition above. Most assets in the table below include those assets that can only be used to settle obligations of consolidated VIEs. The liabilities exclude amounts where creditors or beneficial interest holders have recourse to the general credit of the Company.
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||186||$||448|
|Investment in receivable portfolios, net||483,547||501,489|
|Accounts payable and accrued liabilities||$||—||$||4,556|
ENCORE CAPITAL GROUP, INC.
Consolidated Statements of Operations
(In Thousands, Except Per Share Amounts)
Three Months Ended
|Revenue from receivable portfolios||$||316,217||$||295,357|
|Allowance reversals on receivable portfolios, net||8,515||4,029|
|Total revenues, adjusted by net allowances||355,936||336,774|
|Salaries and employee benefits||96,638||95,634|
|Cost of legal collections||48,971||50,473|
|Other operating expenses||25,753||30,691|
|Collection agency commissions||17,343||10,682|
|General and administrative expenses||38,168||41,893|
|Depreciation and amortization||10,000||9,873|
|Total operating expenses||247,591||239,246|
|Income from operations||108,345||97,528|
|Total other expense||(65,911||)||(67,633||)|
|Income from operations before income taxes||42,434||29,895|
|Provision for income taxes||(3,021||)||(16,879||)|
|Net (income) loss attributable to noncontrolling interest||(544||)||7,709|
|Net income attributable to Encore Capital Group, Inc. stockholders||$||38,869||$||20,725|
|Earnings per share attributable to Encore Capital Group, Inc.:|
|Weighted average shares outstanding:|
ENCORE CAPITAL GROUP, INC.
Consolidated Statements of Cash Flows
(Unaudited, In Thousands)
|Nine Months Ended September 30,|
|Adjustments to reconcile net income to net cash provided by operating activities:|
|Depreciation and amortization||29,736||31,232|
|Other non-cash interest expense, net||24,049||30,453|
|Interest expense related to financing||3,496||—|
|Stock-based compensation expense||9,412||10,452|
|Loss on derivative instruments, net||1,730||10,648|
|Deferred income taxes||5,012||18,733|
|Allowance reversals on receivable portfolios, net||(11,945||)||(31,472||)|
|Changes in operating assets and liabilities|
|Deferred court costs and other assets||45,415||(19,537||)|
|Prepaid income tax and income taxes payable||(21,240||)||21,419|
|Accounts payable, accrued liabilities and other liabilities||(43,602||)||(5,919||)|
|Net cash provided by operating activities||196,946||120,022|
|Purchases of receivable portfolios, net of put-backs||(757,101||)||(881,789||)|
|Collections applied to investment in receivable portfolios, net||588,259||615,010|
|Purchases of property and equipment||(30,712||)||(37,436||)|
|Payment for derivative instruments, net||—||(28,656||)|
|Net cash used in investing activities||(197,958||)||(326,071||)|
|Payment of loan and debt refinancing costs||(8,777||)||(6,440||)|
|Proceeds from credit facilities||481,105||766,471|
|Repayment of credit facilities||(440,992||)||(465,666||)|
|Proceeds from senior secured notes||460,512||—|
|Repayment of senior secured notes||(460,455||)||(1,029||)|
|Proceeds from issuance of convertible senior notes||100,000||172,500|
|Repayment of convertible senior notes||(84,600||)||—|
|Proceeds from other debt||16,236||9,090|
|Repayment of other debt||(24,205||)||(23,450||)|
|Payment for the purchase of PECs and noncontrolling interest||—||(234,101||)|
|Payment of direct and incremental costs relating to Cabot Transaction||—||(8,622||)|
|Net cash provided by financing activities||31,313||204,927|
|Net increase (decrease) in cash and cash equivalents||30,301||(1,122||)|
|Effect of exchange rate changes on cash and cash equivalents||(1,042||)||(6,368||)|
|Cash and cash equivalents, beginning of period||157,418||212,139|
|Cash and cash equivalents, end of period||$||186,677||$||204,649|
|Supplemental cash information:|
|Cash paid for interest||$||131,873||$||163,842|
|Cash paid for taxes, net of refunds||31,419||(2,724||)|
ENCORE CAPITAL GROUP, INC.
Supplemental Financial Information
Reconciliation of Adjusted Income Attributable to Encore to GAAP Net Income Attributable to Encore and Adjusted Operating Expenses Related to Portfolio Purchasing and Recovery Business to GAAP Total Operating Expenses
(In Thousands, Except Per Share amounts) (Unaudited)
|Three Months Ended September 30,|
Accounting and Economic
Accounting and Economic
|GAAP net income attributable to Encore, as reported||$||38,869||$||1.23||$||20,725||$||0.69|
|Convertible notes and exchangeable notes non-cash interest and issuance cost amortization||3,531||0.11||3,719||0.12|
|Acquisition, integration and restructuring related expenses(1)||3,819||0.12||12,458||0.41|
|Amortization of certain acquired intangible assets(2)||1,644||0.05||1,947||0.07|
|Loss on Baycorp Transaction(3)||12,489||0.39||—||—|
|Net gain on fair value adjustments to contingent consideration(4)||(101||)||—||—||—|
|Loss on derivatives in connection with the Cabot Transaction(5)||—||—||2,737||0.09|
|Income tax effect of above non-GAAP adjustments and certain discrete tax items(6)||(19,069||)||(0.60||)||(2,335||)||(0.08||)|
|Adjustments attributable to noncontrolling interest(7)||—||—||(3,474||)||(0.11||)|
|Adjusted net income attributable to Encore||$||51,900||$||1.64||$||35,777||$||1.19|
(1) Amount represents acquisition, integration and restructuring related expenses, which for the three months ended September 30, 2019 includes approximately $1.3 million of transaction costs incurred associated with the Baycorp Transaction. We adjust for this amount because we believe these expenses are not indicative of ongoing operations; therefore adjusting for these expenses enhances comparability to prior periods, anticipated future periods, and our competitors’ results.
(2) As we acquire debt solution service providers around the world, we also acquire intangible assets, such as trade names and customer relationships. These intangible assets are valued at the time of the acquisition and amortized over their estimated lives. We believe that amortization of acquisition-related intangible assets, especially the amortization of an acquired company’s trade names and customer relationships, is the result of pre-acquisition activities. In addition, the amortization of these acquired intangibles is a non-cash static expense that is not affected by operations during any reporting period. As a result, the amortization of certain acquired intangible assets is excluded from our adjusted income from continuing operations attributable to Encore and adjusted income from continuing operations per share.
(3) The Baycorp Transaction resulted in a goodwill impairment charge of $10.7 million and a loss on sale of $12.5 million during the three months ended September 30, 2019. We believe the goodwill impairment charge and the loss on sale are not indicative of ongoing operations, therefore adjusting for these expenses enhances comparability to prior periods, anticipated future periods, and our competitors’ results.
(4) Amount represents the net gain recognized as a result of fair value adjustments to contingent considerations that were established for our acquisitions of debt solution service providers in Europe. We have adjusted for this amount because we do not believe this is indicative of ongoing operations.
(5) Amount represents the loss recognized on the forward contract we entered into in anticipation of the completion of the Cabot Transaction. We adjust for this amount because we believe the loss is not indicative of ongoing operations; therefore adjusting for this loss enhances comparability to prior periods, anticipated future periods, and our competitors’ results.
(6) Amount represents the total income tax effect of the adjustments, which is generally calculated based on the applicable marginal tax rate of the jurisdiction in which the portion of the adjustment occurred. Additionally, we adjust for certain discrete tax items that are not indicative of our ongoing operations. We recognized approximately $17.5 million, or $0.55 per diluted share, in tax benefit as a result of the Baycorp Transaction, which is included in this income tax adjustment during the three months ended September 30, 2019.
(7) Certain of the above adjustments include expenses recognized by our partially-owned subsidiaries. This adjustment represents the portion of the non-GAAP adjustments that are attributable to noncontrolling interest.
Three Months Ended
|GAAP total operating expenses, as reported||$||247,591||$||239,246|
|Operating expenses related to non-portfolio purchasing and recovery business(1)||(42,503||)||(45,980||)|
|Stock-based compensation expense||(4,005||)||(5,007||)|
|Acquisition, integration and restructuring related expenses(2)||(3,819||)||(8,475||)|
|Gain on fair value adjustments to contingent consideration(4)||101||—|
|Adjusted operating expenses related to portfolio purchasing and recovery business||$||186,647||$||179,784|
(1) Operating expenses related to non-portfolio purchasing and recovery business include operating expenses from other operating segments that primarily engage in fee-based business, as well as corporate overhead not related to our portfolio purchasing and recovery business.
(2) Amount represents acquisition, integration and restructuring related operating expenses (including approximately $1.3 million of transaction costs incurred associated with the Baycorp Transaction during the three months ended September 30, 2019 and excluding amounts already included in stock-based compensation expense). We adjust for this amount because we believe these expenses are not indicative of ongoing operations; therefore, adjusting for these expenses enhances comparability to prior periods, anticipated future periods, and our competitors’ results.
(3) The Baycorp Transaction resulted in a goodwill impairment charge of $10.7 million that is included in operating expenses during the three months ended September 30, 2019. We believe the goodwill impairment charge is not indicative of ongoing operations, therefore, adjusting for the expense enhances comparability to prior periods, anticipated future periods, and our competitors’ results.
(4) Amount represents the gain recognized as a result of fair value adjustments to contingent considerations that were established for our acquisitions of debt solution service providers in Europe. We have adjusted for this amount because we do not believe this is indicative of ongoing operations.